Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Ready for some liver?

I might be getting a new liver today. My doctors still need to see it first hand, but all the scans and tests are looking good.

Last night I awoke from a nap to find my surgeon standing at the end of my bed. He was asking if my mom or dad were still around, because he'd like to talk to us about a liver they were considering for me. Naturally this happened the one moment in the past 3 weeks where no one in my family was in my room. Luckily, both my parents were in the hospital, they'd just chosen this time to leave and get some food from the cafe. All I had to do was call them and they could come back. So, I called my mom. No answer. I called my dad. No answer. Turns out the cafe gets no cell phone reception, but I didn't know that, I just knew they weren't responding and the big liver moment was happening now! Over the next 20 minutes I tried calling my parents more times than I have in my entire life. I was quite afraid I was going to miss out on this liver opportunity. Ultimately it didn't matter because the liver wasn't going to be available until the next day, but I didn't know that yet. After 20 minutes, my parents came strolling back to my room, we discussed it with the doctors and decided this would be a good liver for me.

I am still surprised at how tough the decision to accept this new liver has been, so many factors involved that I hadn't considered. I thought the doctors would come bounding into my room one day and break into song about the new perfect liver they had just found for me. Instead it was a conversation about the pros and cons of this liver. So much scarier and much less fun than a song.

Thanks for all your love and support.
- Brandt

2 comments:

  1. wishing you new healthy liver thoughts. big hugs! see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will create a song and dance for you! You deserve the fun climax!!

    ReplyDelete